- Your Stories
in Kids, Pioneer Period, 1846-1910, Slider, Miami High School, The RoadsUnable to render map: Google Maps API key is missing.
The very first Miami High School, a 1905 bungalow-style structure, was going to be demolished for a high-rise development, but thanks to a coalition of Dade Heritage Trust, the City of Miami and the Miami High Alumni, the owner agreed to donate the structure to the City of Miami for public use. After months of planning, fundraising and negotiating, the Old Miami High was relocated three blocks away to Southside Park on January 18, 2003.
Developer Kevin Reilly of KV Brickell Partners, Ltd., donated $35,000, DHT and the Miami High Alumni raised $41,000 and the City of Miami allocated $350,000 for the relocation. DHT secured a $350,000 State Special Category grant and Miami-Dade County General Obligation Bond funding of $350,000 and raised additional funding from The Villagers, Inc. and private donors to complete the restoration.
Dade Heritage Trust oversaw the restoration, with William B. Medellin serving as architect and TurnKey Construction as contractor. On March 3, 2009, DHT Chairman Walter Alvarez and DHT Chief Executive Officer Becky Roper Matkov were joined by Miami Mayor Manny Diaz, Coral Gables Mayor Don Slesnick, Miss Lamar Louise Curry, a band and costumed school children for a ribbon cutting to celebrate Old Miami High in Southside Park becoming a City Parks office and community center with a historic classroom.
Old Miami High School
2450 SW 1st St Miami, Florida, 33135