Cape Florida Lighthouse

DHT raised $1 million from grants and fundraising efforts for restoration of State owned  Cape Florida Lighthouse in Bill Baggs State Park on Key Biscayne.  Constructed in 1825, it guided mariners off the Florida Reef, which starts near Key Biscayne and extends southward a few miles offshore of the Florida Keys.  It was operated by staff, with interruptions, until 1878, when it was replaced by the Fowey Rocks lighthouse. The lighthouse was put back into use in 1978 by the U.S. Coast Guard to mark the Florida Channel, the deepest natural channel into Biscayne Bay. They decommissioned it in 1990. Within the Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park since 1966, the lighthouse was relit in 1996.