Constructed in 1927 and designed by architects Robertson and Patterson, the Mediterranean Revival style Washington Storage was intended for use by the winter residents for storage of furniture and the occasional automobile. The original structure was originally two floors. In 1936, Robert M. Little added two floors above the sill. The lack of windows is the only indication that the building was once a storage company.
In 1987, Mitchell Wolfson, Jr. purchased the building to house and display his accumulated collection of propaganda artifacts. The structure began the conversion and restoration of the Wolfsonian Museum. In 1993, Mark Hampton of Hampton and Kearns, added the top two stepped back floors and an additional bay to the rear of the building. The original terracotta pattern over the entryway is repeated on the modern upper story window.
In 1997, Wolfson donated his library and collection to Florida International University. The Wolfsonian is located at 1001 Washington Avenue in Miami Beach.